One of my former coworkers, A., whom I met up with in Turkey, showed me this great article crowdsourced by Mark Manson, 10 Life Lessons to Excel in Your 30s. It is applicable to anyone at any age, but I thought I would write a few reflections:
1. Start Saving for Retirement Now, Not Later – I put my RSP contributions on hold for the past year, since I had moved out and bought a car. Now that my finances are stable again, I have set up a new ASP for $300 every payday.
2. Start Taking Care of Your Health Now, Not Later – I need to do more exercise. Bad winter habits gave me a Canadian Tire and I should start going to boot camp after Goose Break.
3. Don’t Spend Time with People Who Don’t Treat You Well – I had to ax another friendship the past year. If you can’t be bothered to show up or meet me in Toronto after I’ve driven 1200 km from my home, I’m not going to waste any more time.
4. Be Good to the People You Care About – Give them love. I’m doing alright on this.
5. You can’t have everything; Focus On Doing a Few Things Really Well – Work!
6. Don’t Be Afraid of Taking Risks, You Can Still Change – Mmmm, I’m alright on changes. I went through too many the past two years that I’m enjoying the stability this year.
7. You Must Continue to Grow and Develop Yourself – Always! I’m an INTJ. I couldn’t stop growing and developing even if I tried.
8. Nobody (Still) Knows What They’re Doing, Get Used to It – I plan to stay with my current job for three to four years, but a five year plan? Pbtttt, don’t ask me that question.
9. Invest in Your Family; It’s Worth It – Today, I took Gramma out for lunch and we had some one-on-one.
10. Be kind to yourself, respect yourself – At first, I was hesitant to travel because I thought I should save money. But the travel bug in me wouldn’t let go and I finally let myself have a good time. B. and I also had a great time at this hamam, where I got a 30 minute massage to go with it. I’m going to give myself another massage at the Sheraton before I go back up north. I have no problems treating myself!