Turtle Care: Switching to an External Filter

One of the big issues with caring for an aquatic turtle is cleaning the tank. I’d used with small internal filters, mainly the U-series from Fluval. The U4 filter, for the past 3 years, did a decent job for a few weeks, I really did not look forward to cleaning it out as the water got dirty.

Needless to say, a bad habit began and the cleaning periods were farther and fewer in between. I realized and came to terms with the fact that I was simply putting off getting a filter that would better handle the mess. This was definitely a necessary task for the summer, but I had been putting it off considering that I was still concerned about the condition of his shell* and had prioritized a vet visit over everything else.

Today, I stopped by the Scarborough location of Big Al’s and finally purchased an external filter. I had never used an external before, but I was recommended the Cobalt E-X-T canister filter ($170) with a 3-year warranty ($45) that they kept on file. I am not risking having a machine that doesn’t work.

When I got home, it was quite a task to squint and read the itty-bitty font on the instruction manual. I did a quick search and found that the company actually makes videos that teach you how to set up the equipment (why the staff did not tell me this is beyond me).

It took a couple of hours for my mom and I to fully figure it out but it is properly running now! The motor is strong enough that you didn’t have to prime the canister, but if we had filled it with water prior to running it, the process might have been a bit faster. Either way, this is a super easy system to run. I put Honu back into the tank as he already was getting tired of waiting in the bathtub**.

Super excited to have this running and I hope it will work great when I bring it back up north. The only thing I have left to do is to order some carbon replacement since the store was out of stock today.

*He didn’t have shell rot but between his two visits, in December 2015 and June 2016, we resolved a nutritional issues. His scutes were falling off in brittle pieces due to the malnutrition and I had erroneously believed it to be shell rot.

**He actually broke a nail on the left paw in the tub from trying to claw his way out. When I went to put him in the tank, I realized this due to the streaks of blood on the side of the bathtub.



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s