The funny thing, is that my annual goals are often not my biggest focus. They are often the most poorly thought out and poorly executed of my goals. Often, it’s hard to plan ahead in the year and your ideas my change based on what is happening (or not happening) in your life. And so, to be honest, some of these goals weren’t even determined until the middle of the year!
Anyway, I might as well do the review, since I’ll be in Tel Aviv, Israel in a mere week and I won’t be blogging much from there!
- Increase flexibility (2/5): Using the Focused Flexibility plan from Gold Medal Bodies. I only ever ended up completed the Tight Hips program (2 weeks) when I had an issue with my hip in January. The past month, I started Tight Shoulders program, but decided to put it on pause since I’m going on vacation soon. Could have done a lot better. I hate doing repetitive exercises over and over again.
- Strength training(4/5): I was pretty happy with this goal. Actively did this for 6 months of the year and got through Krissy Cagney’s Beginner Strength and Strength Builder I program. My discipline came from having K. and H. as my workout buddies. Unfortunately, they both moved away and although I had wanted to try Strength Builder II after the summer, it never happened. I still made it farther than I ever expected.
- Deepen yoga training (5/5): Participate in yoga intensive with Kathryn Bruni-Young, first yoga workshop ever! This was very insightful and well worth the money I spent for that one week in July. I’ve written a few notes here, but mostly, the notes are on my Cody logs.
- Eat foods that are good for gut flora (1/5): J. and I watched part of an episode of Nature of Things that talked about gut flora. I start taking probiotics (again). But of course, paying for expensive doesn’t guarantee anything. I started eating more pickled foods and sliced ginger but honestly, I just forgot about this halfway through the year.
- No more new Cody plans for the rest of 2016 (0/5): I’m just hooked on getting Cody plans. I’m forgiving myself on this goal on account that I like learning and being inspired to learn more. I don’t mindlessly choose my plans and when I don’t like them, I always get a refund within the 30-day time frame (I’ve likely refunded half a dozen plans by now). In total, to date, I have probably spent about $813 USD. Still cheaper than a year at any gym in Toronto. And remember, this is lifetime access!
Teaching and Professional Development
- Start exploring future options (3/5): Begin researching other job opportunities. In January, I had initially asked about job opportunities in Alberta and the process that is involved, but decided that I want to be closer to my family, not farther away. Struggled with getting reference letters … ugh. Facebook has been a valuable source of information when it comes to what boards are looking for, when people are getting calls and tips on how to answer and what to expect in interviews. Made a notebook that breaks down information on most of the boards around Southern Ontario.
- Continue teacher blog for networking (4/5): Tried to post a couple of times a month to keep up professional reputation and to stay in touch with contacts. It was also shared with the school and administration, so bonus points! Did this off and but not so much towards the latter half of 2016. The blog did help me stay in touch with a Nipissing professor,T. who got me to try out a webinar on OAME and has been an invaluable mentor for me the past year.
- Make use of Teacher Improvement plan (5/5): Currently taking an Additional Qualification with Queen’s University, so I can get the school board to pay for it. Yeeees! Shoot, tomorrow is the deadline of Module 3.
- Practice selling myself (4/5): Did a OAME webinar back in the fall and also ran a Quizlet workshop for elementary teachers. New goal is to practice interviewing as that needs a lot of work.
- Develop better money habits as a couple (5/5): I’ve been meaning to write about this, but haven’t had a chance to yet. We have regular “money dates” and things are going very well!
- Sell off mutual funds (5/5): In the process of doing this as a reallocate towards index investments.
- Find cheaper options for car maintenance (0/5): Or if going to Honda, use coupons, get Aeroplan miles and also use CAA discount (I kept forgetting to). This didn’t really happen, but J. is willing to share some of the expenses with me. He bought new summer tires when Honda found out my 3-year-old ones were going dangerously bald.
- Reorganize home using the KonMarie way (4/5): Having read the book, The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up, The Japanese Art of Decluttering and Organizing, I was inspired to declutter my own place.
- Get artwork framed (5/5): Seems kind of a weird goal, but I’ve been meaning to do framing for a long time. When I travel, I will pick up pieces of art here and there. I decided to do a custom frame for a fragile parchment piece I picked up in Jodphur, Rajasthan, India. It was pretty expensive. $182, ouch. The frugal part of me feels guilty for it no matter what, but in a way, this is more about paying myself for something I had been meaning to for years. I love art and have spent so much time admiring it, but just want to spend money on a few pieces that forever touch me.
- Read at least 15 books (5/5): I read 25 books this year!
- Read children’s books (2/5): Stay in touch with children’s literature, which I did when I thought I’d likely be teaching elementary svhool in the future. As my goals shifted, so did my goals. I did read the Amulet series and some comic books. Not something I will continue to focus on.
- Learn how to crochet or knit (3/5): I was looking more for offline hobbies, when I started this goal. Partly it was inspired by the tech challenge on the Note To Self podcast. I ended up learning how to crochet a scarf, using double crochet, as well as a circular cozy. Didn’t get as far as I’d like though.
So there you are, a quick review of my goals. Kind of a mish-mash and somewhat all over the place … !
What were your goals in 2016? How did you do on your goals?